Search This Blog

28 October 2009

Voices


Travelling through this great thing we call the web and Internet the other day I was reminded of the importance of voices and how much we miss them when they are gone. Memories remain, but that voice in the present of wisdom, warmth, and compassion is longed for in times of need.

My grandfather has been dead for nearly 20 years and I still miss the rich sound of his baritone as he told a story, preached, sang the songs of Zion, or laughed richly.

Then there are the other voices, like this one: I Asked the Lord, which remind me of so many things pertaining to my spiritual growth and maturity.

1 Cor. 14:10, "There are, it may be, so many kinds of voices in the world, and none of them is without signification."

Voices are not silent. Simple, but true. Voices speak into our lives. For many, the voice of the sportcaster on the radio, or on ESPN, speak into their lives. Others allow voices of entertainment to discolor and reshape God's gifts to humanity into perversions of truth. A majority of people allow voices of gossip, backbiting, lying, talebearing, ditch-digging, and evil reporting to find purchase in their ear and they reap their reward for failing to discern the voices in their lives.

So, listen...strive for sensitive hearing...to the voice of God and His messengers. His voice is always speaking.

Remember the words of Jesus, "My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand" (Jn. 10:27-28).

No comments: