According to T.W. Barnes, many people pronounce the name of Jesus without really knowing how to say it. He specified four ways to say the name of Jesus:
- Say His name with love; the early church had great success, because they loved not their lives, they loved that Name. Love is powerful. Their love gave them reverence for the Name.
- Say His name with vision. Say it seeing the invisible. A woman said, "I resist the devil and he doesn't leave." Bro. Barnes asked her, "What do you look for? The Bible doesn't say resist him and see him sitting on your shoulder; when you resist him you should see him running. The devil no doubt left you when you said in Jesus Name, but since you did not expect him to go, your thinking made you as miserable as if he stayed with you."
- Say His name with faith. Religious leaders in Israel asked the disciples, "How did you heal the man crippled from his mother's womb?" Peter answered, "...by the name of Jesus Christ..."
- Say His name while living a life of sacrifice. The disciples sacrificed everything for that name. We need to love it enough that no sacrifice is too great to make for Jesus.
-Nona Freeman, A Prophet in our Time (2007)
Why is there so much power in the Name of Jesus? T.W. Barnes attributed it to the following reasons:
- His Word is in it – John 1:1, “In the beginning was the Word…”
- His Blood is in it – Jesus is a blood name that redeems all people from sin and the effects of sin (sickness, disease, mental disorders, etc.).
- His Spirit is in it – The Holy Ghost that you received when you spoke in tongues the first time is that Spirit of Christ in you.
- The authority of heaven is in it – All power in Heaven and earth belongs to Jesus Christ.
- His faith is in it – He made everything by the power of His own Word; He spoke it and it happened.
-Nona Freeman, A Prophet In Our Time (2007)