Search This Blog

08 May 2011

Confession To Momma


My Momma
Today is Mother's Day, God has commanded us to honor our Father and Mother (Exodus 20:12; Deuteronomy 5:16; Matthew 15:4-6; 19:19; Mark 7:10; 10:19; Luke 18:20), and it is the first commandment of the Decalogue with a promise attached to it (Ephesians 6:2). 

I love my Mother, LouAnne Kuntzman. 

However, I am unable to be with her this year on Mother's Day. So, I decided to write her a poem, which is not one of my strengths, to try to convey to her my love and appreciation. 

I know it falls short, but I’m trying…So, read at your own risk.
_____________________________________


Confession To Momma
Stephen Kuntzman

The calendar today is marked “Mother’s Day,”

So, here are some things I need to say:

I’ve burned down a barn, crashed some cars,

Smarted off, smoked cigars,

Fought my siblings, cheated in school,

Couldn’t swim then jumped in a pool.

I’ve been late, don’t much date,

And I hate to say, I sometimes obfuscate.

I’ve drank beer, and bleach as well,

I told a lie, and Dad spanked Phill.

I was awake that night on Poplar Street,

Fred won’t think that was neat.

I’ve been mean, sometimes cruel,

Told dirty jokes, and acted a fool.

I’ve been a bully, full of pride,

I know sometimes it was for me you cried.

One thing’s constant, one thing’s sure,

You’ve loved me despite all these quirks.

I never doubted I could come home,

Or call you late on the telephone.

They say confession is good for the soul,

But it’s my experience you’ve already known.

So, with midnight here, and the calendar in sync,

Here’s one last declaration upon which to think:

I LOVE YOU more every day, and know you feel the same way.

1 comment:

LLannie said...

You know I'm crying, don't you? But, there is some laughter mixed with the tears. Yes, I did know it all except the part about Poplar street. Through all those negative things you mentioned, I never doubted that there was this strong Man of God inside of you and that one day you would "do exploits" for God. I thank Him daily for the work He has done and will continue to do in your life and through your life. I will miss you greatly today...and I will always love you every day. Your Momma